Sabbatical grants at Technical Sciences and Natural Sciences

It is possible to apply to the Research Committees at Nat and Tech for a sabbatical scholarship. We only have very few means left. Please contact Ida Marie Gerdes, for more information. AUFF has similar grants, please see more here:

Applicants should be established researchers at least at associate professor/senior researcher level. A brief CV should be enclosed with your application, together with an agreement on sabbatical (signed or approved by the head of department).

Applications are assessed on a continuous basis. The application form should be completed and submitted to Ida Marie Gerdes at Please state if your application is urgent. If you have any questions, please contact Ida Marie Gerdes.

The grant period expires in 2023

After the expiry of the grant period, a report on the implementation and results of the project should be submitted.

More information about planning a stay abroad?
The AU international centre (IAS - International Academic Staff Services) has a website with practical information about planning a work-related stay abroad. There is information about visas, insurance, tax, etc. as well as a checklist of what you need to think about in your planning. Visit the IAS website Going Abroad.

The scholarship covers

Funding from the sabbatical scholarship can co-finance travelling and accommodation expenses for stays of 3-9 months.

This includes rent, travel, visas, operating costs, transportation of equipment, internal travelling and, in exceptional cases, certain establishment expenses and transport of household contents (to a lesser extent). Travelling expenses for accompanying family can be covered. All travelling should be in economy class.

The scholarship does not cover

The scholarship does not cover rent deposit or compensation for salary. Neither is support available for internal travelling for accompanying family, or insurance/school fees/vaccinations or similar for accompanying family. Nor is support available for lost income for accompanying spouse. It is not possible to register holiday in the period in which AU pays for housing.